How successfully an early career physician can manage the business side of their practice, including negotiating their first contract, can significantly impact their career trajectory. This statement is supported by Deloitte’s 2014 Survey of U.S. Physicians, which reports that 71% of physicians think being able to negotiate employment contracts is essential to successfully practicing medicine in the future.
This course provides a wealth of knowledge on what to look for in a physician contract, practical tips for the interview and negotiation process, and how to market yourself as an early career psychiatrist. Additionally, the included workbook activity helps you contextualize the information and apply the advice to your individual circumstances. Having completed the course and printed your workbook, you should feel better prepared to transition to practice.
- General Member - $15.00
- Resident-Fellow Member - Free
- Medical Student Member - $15.00
- Non-Member - $30.00
Learner will be able to:
- Describe the current demand for behavioral health and psychiatrists and the available practice options and career paths;
- Prepare for the interview and negotiation process; and
- Create a road map for successfully transitioning to practice.
Residents/Fellows and Psychiatrists
Estimated Time to Complete
Estimated Duration: 1 Hour
Program Release Date: May 28, 2015
Program Review Date: May 28, 2018
How to Earn Credit
Participants who wish to earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ or a certificate of participation may do so by completing all sections of the course including the evaluation. After evaluating the program, course participants will be provided with an opportunity to claim hours of participation and print an official CME certificate (physicians) or certificate of participation (non-physicians) showing the date of completion and hours earned.
Continuing Education Credit
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The APA designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty and Planner Disclosures
- Stephanie Auditore, JD, Director of Member Product Development, Engagement & Portfolio Management, American Psychiatric Association; Disclosure: None
- Jon Fanning, MS, CAE, Chief of Membership & RFM-ECP Officer, American Psychiatric Association; Disclosure: None
- Louis Joseph, American Group East Vice President, HCA Physician Services Group; Disclosure: Employee, Hospital Corporation of America
Optimal System Configuration:
- Flash Player: Adobe Flash Player 10.3+
- Browser: Firefox (latest version), Internet Explorer 8.0+, Safari 7.0+, Google Chrome (latest version), or Microsoft Edge (latest version)
- Operating System: Windows XP+ or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Internet Connection: 1 Mbps or higher
- Windows PC: 500-MHz Pentium II; Windows XP or higher; 128 MB RAM; Video Card at least 64MB of video memory; Macromedia Flash Player 10.3 or higher, Sound Card at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
- Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.4 or higher with latest updates installed; 1.83MHz Intel Core Duo or faster; RAM: 128MB or more; Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card: at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
For assistance: Contact email@example.com for questions about this course | Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for technical assistance