This course will provide informaiton regarding potential liability exposures associated with opioid prescribing and dispensing, and provide suggestions to assist the psychiatrist in managing patients needing opioid/controlled drug medications and preventing potential drug diversion.
- General Member - Free
- Resident-Fellow Member - Free
- Medical Student Member - Free
- Non-Member - $25.00
- Recognize the development of the current opioid epidemic and drug diversion warning signs
- Explain how the federal/state regulatory attempts to curb this epidemic affect healthcare delivery
- Identify risk mitigation strategies for psychiatrists in prescribing potentially addictive medications
Psychiatrists and Residents/Fellows
Estimated Time to Complete
Estimated Duration: 45 minutes
Program Start Date: February 3, 2020
Program End Date: February 3, 2023
How to Earn Credit
Participants who wish to earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ or a certificate of participation may do so by completing all sections of the course including the evaluation. After evaluating the program, course participants will be provided with an opportunity to claim hours of participation and print an official CME certificate showing the date of completion and hours earned.
Continuing Education Credit
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The APA designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty and Planner Disclosures
- Pauline Barry, BSN, MPS, CPHRM, CPPS, DFASHRM, Assistant Vice President Risk Management Group, AWAC Services. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Denise Neal, RN, BSN, MJ, CPHRM, Assistant Vice President, Risk Management Group, AWAC Services. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Anne Huben-Kearney, RN, CPHQ, CPHRM, CPPS, DFASHRM, AVP, Risk Management Group, AWAC Services. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Tristan Gorrindo, MD, Director of Education, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
Accessibility for Participants with Disabilities
The American Psychiatric Association is committed to ensuring accessibility of its website to people with disabilities. If you have trouble accessing any of APA’s online resources, please contact us at 202-559-3900 for assistance.
Optimal System Configuration:
- Flash Player: Adobe Flash Player 10.3+
- Browser: Firefox (latest version), Internet Explorer 8.0+, Safari 7.0+, Microsoft Edge (latest version) or Google Chrome (latest version)
- Operating System: Windows XP+ or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Internet Connection: 1 Mbps or higher
- Windows PC: 500-MHz Pentium II; Windows XP or higher; 128 MB RAM; Video Card at least 64MB of video memory; Macromedia Flash Player 10.3 or higher; Sound Card at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
- Macintosh:Mac OS X 10.4+ or higher with latest updates installed; 1.83MHz Intel Core Duo or faster; RAM: 128MB or more; Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card: at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
Need Assistance? contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about this course | contact email@example.com for technical assistance
All materials copyright American Psychiatric Association ©2020.