The population of the United States is aging and growing increasingly diverse, creating a demographic imperative to address diversity among older adults. Diversity encompasses ethnicity, cultural background, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and immigration status. Currently, 13% of the population is over the age of 65. This course discusses culturally sensitive clinical care of LGBTQ older adults. Presented by Daniel D. Sewell, M.D., DFAPA, UC San Diego.
**This content was captured at the 2018 APA Annual Meeting and may reference information from various sources and terminology from previous editions of the DSM.
- General Member - $6.25
- Resident-Fellow Member - Free
- Medical Student Member - $6.25
- Non-Member - $12.50
This course is no longer free to APA members through the Course of the Month program. Promotional pricing was valid until June 30, 2019.
- Define what is meant by the term intersectionality and will be able to list three ways in which a clinician can embrace intersectionality.
- Provide three examples of health disparities that impact members of the LGBTQ community.
- List three ways to create a welcoming medical office environment for LGBTQ individuals.
Estimated Time to Complete
Estimated Duration: 45 minutes
Begin Date: June 1, 2019
End Date: December 31, 2021
How to Earn Credit
Participants who wish to earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ or a certificate of participation may do so by completing all sections of the course including the evaluation. A multiple choice quiz is provided based on the content. A passing score of 100% must be achieved. Retakes are available for the test. After evaluating the program, course participants will be provided with an opportunity to claim hours of participation and print an official CME certificate (physicians) or certificate of participation (non-physicians) showing the completion date and hours earned.
Continuing Education Credit
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring CME activity for a maximum of 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty and Planner Disclosures
- Daniel D. Sewell, M.D., Director, Senior Behavioral Health, Professor of Psychiatry, UC San Diego Health. Disclosures: Consultant - ActivCare Residential Living, Inc.; Speaker's Bureau - Creative Educational Concepts, Inc.; Grant/Research - Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program.
- Tristan Gorrindo, M.D., Director of Education, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Ricardo A. Juarez, M.S., Director, District Branch and International Relations, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Kristen LeBlanc, Deputy Director, Member Product Development & Engagement, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
Accessibility for Participants with Disabilities
The American Psychiatric Association is committed to ensuring accessibility of its website to people with disabilities. If you have trouble accessing any of APA’s online resources, please contact us at 202-559-3900 for assistance.
Optimal System Configuration:
- Flash Player: Adobe Flash Player 10.3+
- Browser: Firefox (latest version), Internet Explorer 8.0+, Safari 7.0+, Microsoft Edge (latest version) or Google Chrome (latest version)
- Operating System: Windows XP+ or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Internet Connection: 1 Mbps or higher
- Windows PC: 500-MHz Pentium II; Windows XP or higher; 128 MB RAM; Video Card at least 64MB of video memory; Macromedia Flash Player 10.3 or higher; Sound Card at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
- Macintosh:Mac OS X 10.4+ or higher with latest updates installed; 1.83MHz Intel Core Duo or faster; RAM: 128MB or more; Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card: at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
Need Assistance? contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about this course | contact email@example.com for technical assistance
All materials copyright American Psychiatric Association ©2019.