When suffering illnesses, people from different cultural backgrounds usually have their own illness beliefs, the understanding of the meanings of their symptoms based on their cultures and traditions. Due to differences in cultural and educational backgrounds, patients and their providers frequently have different views about an illness. The Engagement Interview Protocol was designed to bridge different views to engage patients in appropriate psychiatric treatment.
- General Member - $7.50
- Resident-Fellow Member - Free
- Medical Student Member - $7.50
- Non-Member - $15.00
- Perform culturally sensitive psychiatric interviews to engage patients from different cultures to receive appropriate management for their psychiatric conditions
- Differentiate between the Engagement Interview Protocol and Cultural Formulation Interview
- Apply added dimensions of Engagement Interview Protocol to the standard psychiatric assessment to deliver culturally sensitive diagnoses to patients
Estimated Time to Complete
Estimated Duration: 30 minutes
Begin Date: July 29, 2019
End Date: July 29, 2022
How to Earn Credit
Participants who wish to earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ or a certificate of participation may do so by completing all sections of the course including the evaluation. A multiple choice quiz is provided based on the content. A passing score of 70% must be achieved. Retakes are available for the test. After evaluating the program, course participants will be provided with an opportunity to claim hours of participation and print an official CME certificate (physicians) or certificate of participation (non-physicians) showing the completion date and hours earned.
Continuing Education Credit
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring CME activity for a maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty and Planner Disclosures
- Albert Yeung, M.D., Sc.D, MGH Depression Clinical and Research Program, Harvard Medical School. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Nhi-Ha Trinh, M.D., M.P.H., MGH Depression Clinical and Research Program, Harvard Medical School. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Trina Chang, M.D., M.P.H, MGH Depression Clinical and Research Program, Harvard Medical School. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Tristan Gorrindo, M.D., Director of Education, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Ally Brown, Senior Program Manager Online Learning, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Sejal Patel, Senior Program Manager, Division of Diversity and Health Equity, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Roberto Lewis-Fernandez, M.D., Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. Disclosure: Honoraria - American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. for the Handbook on the DSM-5 Cultural Formulation Interview.
Optimal System Configuration:
- Flash Player: Adobe Flash Player 10.3+
- Browser: Firefox (latest version), Internet Explorer 8.0+, Safari 7.0+, Microsoft Edge (latest version) or Google Chrome (latest version)
- Operating System: Windows XP+ or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Internet Connection: 1 Mbps or higher
- Windows PC: 500-MHz Pentium II; Windows XP or higher; 128 MB RAM; Video Card at least 64MB of video memory; Macromedia Flash Player 10.3 or higher; Sound Card at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
- Macintosh:Mac OS X 10.4+ or higher with latest updates installed; 1.83MHz Intel Core Duo or faster; RAM: 128MB or more; Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card: at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
Need Assistance? contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about this course | contact email@example.com for technical assistance
All materials copyright American Psychiatric Association ©2019.