Participants of the Essentials of Psychopharmacology Master Course, held at the 2019 APA Annual Meeting, are eligible to earn CME credit toward meeting Maintenance of Certification (MOC) requirements. This activity provides Performance in Practice (Part 4 of MOC) credit. To earn MOC credit, Stages A, B, and C must be completed by the activity end date, December 31, 2019.
Enrollment in this activity is limited to participants of the Essentials of Psychopharmacology Master Course held at the 2019 APA Annual Meeting.
Master Course participants must enter the Group ID code on the purchase step to unlock and begin this activity. If you have misplaced the Group ID, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
By completing the Performance in Practice module, physicians will:
- Learn about evaluation and management of patients for benzodiazepine medications;
- Review current medication indications for psychiatric disorders;
- Review side-effects and medical interaction; and
- Identify areas of improvement and develop an improvement plan.
Psychiatrists participating in MOC; psychiatric residents and fellows; physicians and other clinicians who wish to improve their knowledge of clinical psychiatry and patient care.
Estimated Time to Complete
Estimated Duration: 20 hours
Begin Date: April 8, 2019
End Date: December 31, 2019
How to Earn Credit
The APA's PIP modules are guided practice improvement programs created for psychiatrists, and are designed to meet Part 4 MOC requirements for clinical modules. Modules follow a three-stage Performance Improvement CME structure that takes place within a 10-month period. To earn MOC credit, the three stages must be completed by the end date, December 31, 2019.
Performance in Practice (PIP) Measures for Use of Benzodiazepine Medications completion of Stages A, B, and C in sequence is designated by American Psychiatric Association for up to 20 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
- Stage A – Chart Review, the physician compares his or her current practice (through a review of chart documentation) to guidelines and measures provided for the topic area. No patient/chart data is submitted. (5 credits)
- Stage B – Improvement, based upon the results of chart review, the physician then selects an area where improvement is needed and documents his or her strategy for improvement. This improvement plan is for the personal use of the physician, and is not submitted to the APA. Educational resources are suggested that can assist with the improvement plan, however, any educational activities relevant to the improvement plan can be used. During Stage B, the physician implements the educational plan for a period of 30 days or as long as the doctor deems necessary within 10 months. (5 credits)
- Stage C – Second Chart Review, the physician reassesses his or her performance with review of five patient charts, and determines the results of his or her performance improvement effort. These can be the same five patients or a new group of patients seen since beginning the PIP activities. Again, the physician retains all patient/chart data. (10 credits).
ABPN Maintenance of Certification requirements: http://www.abpn.com/moc.html
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The American Psychiatric Association designates this performance improvement CME activity for a maximum of 20 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology has approved this program as a Performance in Practice Clinical Module (MOC Part 4) which is mandated by the ABMS as a necessary component of Maintenance of Certification.
APA reports MOC completion data on behalf of our members directly to ABPN, however, diplomates are still required to log on to their ABPN Physician Folios at least once per calendar year to attest to completion of their MOC activities.
Faculty and Planner Disclosures
- Kristen Moeller, Director of Continuing Medical Education, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
Optimal System Configuration:
- Flash Player: Adobe Flash Player 10.3+
- Browser: Firefox (latest version), Internet Explorer 8.0+, Safari 7.0+, Microsoft Edge (latest version) or Google Chrome (latest version)
- Operating System: Windows XP+ or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Internet Connection: 1 Mbps or higher
Windows PC: 500-MHz Pentium II; Windows XP or higher; 128 MB RAM; Video Card at least 64MB of video memory; Macromedia Flash Player 10.3 or higher; Sound Card at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.4+ or higher with latest updates installed; 1.83MHz Intel Core Duo or faster; RAM: 128MB or more; Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card: at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
For assistance: Contact email@example.com for questions about this course | Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for technical assistance