This presentation provides a greater understanding of complementary and alternative Medicine (CAM), and evolving terminology used. Information is also provided regarding findings on the patterns of CAM use in psychiatric patients and the widespread use of CAM treatments. Issues of scientific implausibility, the adulteration of products, liability, and clarification for patients are addressed in addition to the state of CAM in the United States, with respect to government, academia, medical education, and other medical specialties, as well as a review of obstacles to research.
Additional information and resources on CAM can be found on the APA "Integrative Medicine" webpage.
**This content was captured at the 2015 APA Annual Meeting and may reference information from various sources and terminology from previous editions of the DSM.
- General Member - $6.25
- Resident-Fellow Member - Free
- Medical Student Member - $6.25
- Non-Member - $12.50
- Describe the terms Complementary & Alternative Medicine (CAM) and Integrative Medicine
- Describe the history and present status of CAM in the United States within the government sector, academia, medical education, and the medical specialties
- Evaluate ways to incorporatel CAM treatments into clinical practice
- List resources which are available to learn more about CAM in Psychiatry
Estimated Time to Complete
Estimated Duration: 0.5 hours
Program Start: June 1, 2016
Program End: June 1, 2022
How to Earn Credit
Participants who wish to earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ or a certificate of participation may do so by completing all sections of the course including the evaluation. A multiple choice quiz is provided based on the content. A passing score of 100% must be achieved. Retakes are available for the test. After evaluating the program, course participants will be provided with an opportunity to claim hours of participation and print an official CME certificate (physicians) or certificate of participation (non-physicians) showing the date of completion and hours earned.
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty and Planner Disclosures
- Lila Massoumi, M.D., Michigan State University. Disclosure: Bristol Myers SquibbSpeakers Bureau/Speaker Honoraria.
- Tristan Gorrindo, M.D., Director of Education, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
- Jon Fanning, M.S., C.A.E., Chief of Membership and RFM-ECP, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
- Stephanie Auditore, J.D., Director of Member Product Developmpent, Engagement & Portfolio Management, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
- Ricardo A. Juarez, M.S., Associate Director, Office of International Affairs, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
Optimal System Configuration
- Flash Player: Adobe Flash Player 10.3+
- Browser: Firefox (latest version), Internet Explorer 8.0+, Safari 7.0+, Microsoft Edge (latest version) or Google Chrome (latest version)
- Operating System: Windows XP+ or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Internet Connection: 1 Mbps or higher
- Windows PC: 500-MHz Pentium II; Windows XP or higher; 128 MB RAM; Video Card at least 64MB of video memory; Macromedia Flash Player 10.3 or higher; Sound Card at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
- Macintosh:Mac OS X 10.4+ or higher with latest updates installed; 1.83MHz Intel Core Duo or faster; RAM: 128MB or more; Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card: at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
For assistance: Contact email@example.com for questions about this course | Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for technical assistance