Despite good understanding of how to best classify personality disorders, there are new developments based on changes in our understanding, new nosological systems, and new evidence. For example, borderline personality disorder (BPD) can be better distinguished from narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), leading to changes in our understanding as well as our therapeutic technique.
**This content was captured at the 2015 APA Annual Meeting and may reference information from various sources and terminology from previous editions of the DSM.
- General Member - $6.25
- Resident-Fellow Member - Free
- Medical Student Member - $6.25
- Non-Member - $12.50
Free member registration for this course through the Course of the Month program ended on June 30th.
- Identify important trends in 21st century psychodynamic psychiatry including those related to therapeutic alliance
- Recognize and use interpretation properly in patients with severe personality disorder
Estimated Time to Complete
Estimated Duration: 0.5 hours
Program Start: June 1, 2016
Program End: June 1, 2019
How to Earn Credit
Participants who wish to earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ or a certificate of participation may do so by completing all sections of the course including the evaluation. A multiple choice quiz is provided based on the content. A passing score of 100% must be achieved. Retakes are available for the test. After evaluating the program, course participants will be provided with an opportunity to claim hours of participation and print an official CME certificate (physicians) or certificate of participation (non-physicians) showing the date of completion and hours earned.
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty and Planner Disclosures
- Otto F. Kernberg, M.D., Weill Cornell Medicine. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests.
- Tristan Gorrindo, M.D., Director of Education, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
- Jon Fanning, M.S., C.A.E., Chief of Membership and RFM-ECP, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
- Stephanie Auditore, J.D., Director of Member Product Development, Engagement & Portfolio Management, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
- Ricardo A. Juarez, M.S., Associate Director, Office of International Affairs, American Psychiatric Association. Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
Optimal System Configuration
- Flash Player: Adobe Flash Player 10.3+
- Browser: Firefox (latest version), Internet Explorer 8.0+, Safari 7.0+, Microsoft Edge (latest version) or Google Chrome (latest version)
- Operating System: Windows XP+ or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Internet Connection: 1 Mbps or higher
- Windows PC: 500-MHz Pentium II; Windows XP or higher; 128 MB RAM; Video Card at least 64MB of video memory; Macromedia Flash Player 10.3 or higher; Sound Card at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
- Macintosh:Mac OS X 10.4+ or higher with latest updates installed; 1.83MHz Intel Core Duo or faster; RAM: 128MB or more; Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card: at least 16-bit; audio playback with speakers for programs with video content
For assistance: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about this course | Contact email@example.com for technical assistance