This patient safety education and quality improvement course will enable physicians to learn essential knowledge, skills and attitudes about safety that they can then apply to their own clinical environment. This program is intended to provide the foundation for a new culture and new practices through education on various topics required by the ABMS and some additional areas of interest. Modules are comprised of video and slide lectures.
This activity is approved by ABPN and ABFM as meeting an MOC requirement for a foundational patient safety course.
- General Member - $74.50
- Resident-Fellow Member - $37.25
- Medical Student Member - $74.50
- Non-Member - $149.00
This course is part of the APA’s On Demand Plus series. On Demand Plus courses offer a deeper exploration of material through rich content and enhanced features. On Demand Plus courses are multi-modular and are typically completed over a longer time period. The course agenda includes:
- Course Introduction and Disclosure
- Part 1: Key Themes in Patient Safety
- Part 2: Patient Safety and Specific Risk Management Issues in Psychiatry
- Part 3: Case Vignettes
Apply essential knowledge, skills and attitudes about safety to a clinical environment
Psychiatrists and clinicians interested in the culture of safety.
Estimated Time to Complete
Estimated Duration: 4 hours
Program Release Date: March 1, 2015
Program Review: February 28, 2018
Program End Date: March 1, 2021
How to Earn Credit
Participants who wish to earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit ™ (physicians) or a certificate of participation (non-physicians) may do so by completing all sections of the course including the evaluation. A multiple choice quiz is provided based on the content. A passing score of 80% must be achieved. Retakes are available for the test. After evaluating the program, course participants will be provided with an opportunity to claim hours of participation and print an official CME certificate showing the date of completion and hours earned. The credits claimed are automatically recorded in your Learning Center transcript.
Diplomates of ABFM and/or ABPN credit, please complete the ABMS MOC survey after you've successfully completed the course.
This course fulfills a MOC requirement. Participants in MOC should successfully complete a Board-approved foundational patient safety course or equivalent learning experience prior to, or early in, the diplomate’s participation in the Program for MOC. APA reports MOC completion data on behalf of our members directly to ABPN, however, diplomates are still required to log on to their ABPN Physician Folios at least once per calendar year to attest to completion of their MOC activities.
- ACCME: The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The APA designates this enduring material for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- ABPN: The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology has approved the American Psychiatric Association course, Patient Safety in Psychiatry: An Introduction to the Foundation of Patient Safety and Approaches to Adverse Events in Mental Health, as a Patient Safety Course activity for the ABPN Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program.
- ABFM: Through the American Board of Medical Specialties (“ABMS”) and Association of American Medical Colleges’ (“AAMC”) joint initiative to create a wide array of Maintenance of Certification (“MOC”) Activities, Patient Safety in Psychiatry has met the MOC requirements as a Part II, activity by the following ABMS Member Boards: American Board of Family Medicine.
Faculty and Planner Disclosures
- Tristan Gorrindo, M.D., Director, APA Division of Education, Washington, DC | Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
- Avram H. Mack, M.D., Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Attending Physician, Medstar Georgetown University Hospital | Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
- Deborah J. Hales, M.D., Former Director, APA Division of Education and Founder and Past Editor of FOCUS, Washington DC | Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
- Kristen Moeller, Director, Continuing Medical Education, American Psychiatric Association, Arlington VA | Reports no financial relationships with commercial interests
Optimal System Configuration
- Flash Player: Adobe Flash Player 10.1+
- Browser: Firefox 3+, Internet Explorer 8.0+, Safari 4.0+, or Google Chrome 7.0+
- Operating System: Windows XP+ or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Internet Connection: 1 Mbps or higher
- Windows PC:500-MHz Pentium II; Windows XP or higher; 128 MB RAM; Video Card at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card at least 16-bit; Macromedia Flash Player 10 or higher, audio playback with speakers for programs with video content; Firefox 1.1+, Internet Explorer 7.0+, Safari 1.0+, Google Chrome, or Opera
- Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.3 or higher with latest updates installed; 1.83MHz Intel Core Duo or faster; RAM: 128MB or more; Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card: at least 16-bit
For assistance: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about this course | Contact email@example.com for technical assistance